Am I really still a Utah girl? I am starting to wonder. Virginia is feeling more and more like home to me these days and when I think about Utah it is with a mixture of apathy and uncertainty, not the feelings of longing I used to have. I still love Utah with it's diverse landscape - the majestic mountains, and oh, my - the desert! - and most importantly lots of people I love. I think I have just discovered so much more happiness out here than I thought possible and I am scared to mess with that. There are days when I am lonely and homesick, but they are getting few and far-between. In addition to the happiness Aaron and I have found as a family, I have really become attached to this place. Trees and water everywhere. A long history, holding so much significance to our country and our lives. I have stood where Captain John Smith met Pocahontas! To say nothing of Williamsburg, Yorktown and the long list of Civil War sites. And most importantly - the BEACH!!!
It's hard to say what the future will hold. Aaron and I go back and forth weekly. We have conversations of "Well, when we move back to Utah we can leave this and bring that..." followed a few days later by "If we stay, we could close in this wall, it would make a great room for when Dylan is older." It is a continuing, back-and-forth dialogue that will probably go on for a while. We are going home for a visit in May and I think a lot will be decided then. A lot of attention will be paid to all the details we used to take for granted. Not everything will be entirely up to us, though. There is always the issue of a job for Aaron and the housing market. From what we hear, prices are steadily climbing in the SL Valley. That is more than a little discouraging! Things are always changing, though - so we will really just have to see how things are once Aaron finishes school here, which should be about a year from May.
In the meantime, I am just trying to enjoy this place to the fullest and see and do all I can. It has been really neat to share my new experiences with my family and friends and show them all the places I have come to love (but there are some of you that haven't come out yet - the door is always open!) Places left on my list to explore are: the Eastern Shore of VA and the island of Chiconteague - famous for it's ponies, the Western part of the state and all the surrounding mountains - Appalachian Trail, anyone?! , we still have to visit D.C. and I would love to check out parts of Maryland. If there are any places I missed, please feel free to let me know! Or come on out and visit and explore them with me!
4 comments:
Isn't it funny where life takes us? David would have died 5 years ago if I had told him we were going to be in California for 8 years.
I am so, so glad that you guys are happy where you are. That is no small blessing, and seeing your smiling face in that picture up there makes me smile too.
And hell yeah (oops, sorry) to the AT someday! I honestly don't know when I would have the time. Maybe when we're 40. (OK, I couldn't say 30 because it is too close. How scary is that?) Or 35? *HUGS*
Erin - 35, it is!! Even though that is still 8 years away...! Wanna go ahead and pencil it in?!
Life is funny - I would have never, ever - in a million or more years - guessed that we would live in Virginia of all places. Maybe sometimes it's good that we aren't really the ones in charge. Look what we would have all missed out on! *HUGS* back!
I am so with you on this Kristen. It has been awesome to be in Idaho of all places. And should we move again I will fully embrace all that it has to offer. And, Trent and I will sign up for the AT! Let's do it!
How on earth could you fit all of those pending adventures into "one year from May"? I'm puting money down that you stay in VA. Besides, there has to be time for me to visit you out there! Appalachia, here I come! :o)
And, guess what - you ARE in charge. If your desires are strong enough, everything should just fall into place. Don't doubt that for a second. I'm going with that theory. It's worked for me thus far. :o)
And I hope I end up somewhere on the east coast some time in my life.
Isn't it so true how suprising the turns are that life takes.? Never say never, right? Bring on the life experiences, baby! And don't look back!
Post a Comment